03 February 2009

Rustic Soup

Make this soup. Then eat it. Make this soup, then eat it.
There is nothing more to say.

It is rich in flavor and so simple and so cozy. I had a salad and warmed sourdough bread with it. That's it. Oh, and I put grated parmesan cheese on top. It didn't even need the bay leaf, the savory and rich leek-butter flavor stood on its own. Tonight, I didn't work late, I wasn't busy with other plans, I wasn't in the mood to eat out. I simply wanted to use the leeks in my fridge and have a nice, easy, home-cooked dinner. I am very pleased.

Rustic Potato Leek Soup
adapted from The New Best Recipe

4-5 pounds leeks (I used leeks and white onion)
6 tbs butter (3/4 stick)
1 tbs flour
5 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 bay leaf (I didn't have this, so added a bit of thyme instead. No loss.)
1 3/4 pounds red potatoes (about 5 medium) peeled and cut into 3/4-inch dice
Salt and ground black pepper

1. Cut off roots and touch dark green part of leeks, leaving white portion and some light green. Slice leeks in half lengthwise and chop into 1-inch pieces.

2. Heat butter in large stockpot over medium-low heat until foaming. Stir in leeks, increase heat to medium, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the leeks are tender but not mushy, 15 to 20 minutes do not brown the leeks. Sprinkle the flour over the leeks and stir to coat evenly. Cook until flour dissolves, about 2 minutes.

3. Increase heat to high whisking constantly, gradually add the broth. Add the bay leaf (or thyme, or nothing) and potatoes, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered until the potatoes are almost tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the pot from heat and let stand, covered, until the potatoes are tender and the flavors meld, 10 to 15 minutes. Discard the bay leaf (if used) and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately. (The soup can be refrigerated in an airtight container for a day or two).

Serves 6 to 8

I also thought this was a great recipe for the way it treated the potatoes. They weren't grainy or mushy at all.



5 comments:

  1. yum! this sounds like a perfect meal for a cold winter day. thanks for the recipe. i am going to get the ingredients from the coop and hopefully make it this week. the cranberry recipe also sounds absolutely amazing! i wish i could come to your house for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marianna! Thanks for reading my blog. Tell me how the soup is if you end up making it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Potato and leek soup... oh yes. I can't wait for winter so I can make up huge pots of soup again! I'm looking forward to clear chicken broth with noodles, and smokey bacon and potato soup, and lentil soup, and minestrone so chunky that you can eat it with a fork, and Tuscan-style bread and bean soup, and curried pumpkin soup, and.. and.. and.......

    *sigh*

    Thanks for visiting my blog! I'm glad you like my photos.

    Liz xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely soup, Anna! Just perfect for a cold February day!

    Greetings,
    Tiina

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am soooo making this soup tonight! Thank you for the recipe! Again, it proves that simplicity is all that life should be about!!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for your comment! i appreciate hearing from you.